Commonwealth of Learning - Opportunities
Adviser: Technology-Enabled Learning
4710 Kingsway, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada .
full-time . December 22, 2022
Position Title and Grade: Adviser: Technology-Enabled Learning, Grade C1
Reports to: Director: Education
Direct Reports: Programme Assistant (shared) Consultants
Duration of Contract: Three-year term
Position Location: 4710 Kingsway, Suite 2500, Burnaby BC Canada V5H 4M2
Commonwealth of Learning (COL) helps governments and institutions to expand the scale, efficiency and quality of learning by using new approaches, appropriate technologies, and open and distance learning (ODL) methodologies. Headquartered in British Columbia, Canada, COL promotes innovation and works with Member States to facilitate learning for sustainable development. It is financed by voluntary contributions from Commonwealth governments.
Overview of Functions of the Position:
The Adviser: Technology-Enabled Learning (TEL) is expected to develop and implement activities in support of COL’s Strategic Plan which aims to promote access to quality education across the Commonwealth. S/he will work across the sectors to achieve programme outcomes as well as implement externally funded projects. The Adviser: TEL focuses on planning and policy development, capacity building and research and innovation related to the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs) and open educational resources (OER). The job holder provides technical expertise in eLearning to Commonwealth governments, institutions and civil society organisations and with staff internally to promote the use of eLearning solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceptualises, manages and implements programme initiatives related to technology-enabled learning to improve access to quality education and training; adopts innovative approaches to develop scalable models; and formulates strategies and action plans to deliver concrete results and achieve value for money.
- Manages the implementation strategy for assigned activities and project(s). This involves working as a team with the Director: Education and other staff to ensure a coordinated approach within the programme; identifies new ideas; manages consultants; leverages other sources of support including raising additional funds; and organises logistics.
- Develops and implements a monitoring and evaluation framework for assigned activities/project(s); collects the necessary data; and produces reports in accordance with COL’s results-based management framework.
- Provides domain expertise and direction to a diverse range of stakeholders on the design and implementation of models/systems and policies in support of technology-enabled learning.
- Contributes to COL's overall mission and corporate life in planning, stakeholder engagement and internal processes by providing advice in areas of expertise and by representing COL’s interests at international forums.
- Actively demonstrates commitment to gender equality.
- Ensures direct report(s) have clear work plans and conducts performance appraisals on staff who work in the area; and
- Performs other duties related to COL’s programme or activities, as required.
Essential: Postgraduate qualification in a related discipline, such as: Educational Technology, Education, Instructional Design.
Desirable: Qualification in open and distance learning and/or international development. Doctoral degree in any of the disciplines above.
Essential: Seven years of professional experience working in open, distance and technology-mediated learning which demonstrates strong knowledge of trends, policy issues and technical expertise. Experience in programme development, project management and reporting.
Desirable: Experience of relating learning to sustainable development. Some experience of working in developing countries and with a diverse range of stakeholders.
Skills and Competencies:
- Innovation & Creativity: Injects originality into daily work through research, personal knowledge, and networking relationships; Thinks "outside the box"; Brainstorms and encourages new ideas and solutions; Takes appropriate risks.
- Prudence: Sets an example by consistently modelling high standards of performance, honesty and integrity especially with appropriate use of funds; Ability to mobilise, prepare and manage financial budgets in an effective, efficient and judicious manner to deliver ‘value for money’.
- Professional Judgment: Possesses an in-depth understanding of the programme goals; Is sought out by others for advice in an area of specialisation; Has the expertise to be perceived as a thought leader and be a credible interlocutor in the field; Ability to develop realistic, relevant and achievable plans including monitoring and evaluation strategies; Demonstrates a "can-do" and positive approach.
- Networking: Ability to develop and maintain a network of contacts in government agencies and institutions on issues related to education; Exercises discretion and diplomacy while representing COL’s interests; Capable of identifying and selecting quality partners, as well as to prepare, negotiate and manage agreements consistent with COL’s policies.
- Communication, Supervisory and Team Orientation Skills: Communicates effectively in a variety of settings including to wider audiences; Displays sensitivity to ethnic and gender issues in verbal and written communications. Possesses the capacity and skills to manage human resources (staff, consultants, advisors, etc.). Ability to lead teams as well as communicate and work with others, both within and outside COL, by promoting co-operation and collaboration to achieve collective outcomes; Openly shares information, knowledge and expertise with the team and co-workers; Appropriately gives and is open to feedback.
- Commitment to the ideals of COL, notably to the role of learning as the key to sustainable development and to the capacity of technology to enhance that role.
- Capacity to work in a multicultural environment with a readiness to adapt to the work culture, where integrity, mutual respect and dedication to the organisation are expected.