Commonwealth of Learning - Opportunities
Senior Adviser: Open, Distance and eLearning
7/8 Sarv Priya Vihar, New Delhi, 110016, India .
full-time . February 15, 2023
Position Title: Senior Adviser: Open, Distance and eLearning
Reports to: Director at CEMCA
Duration of Contract: Three-year term
Position Location: 7/8 Sarv Priya Vihar, New Delhi 110016, India
Direct Reports: There are no direct reports in this position.
Commonwealth of Learning (COL) helps governments and institutions to expand the scale, efficiency and quality of learning by using new approaches, appropriate technologies, and open and distance learning (ODL) methodologies. Headquartered in British Columbia, COL promotes innovation and works with international partners to facilitate learning in support of sustainable development. It is financed by voluntary contributions from Commonwealth Member States.
The Commonwealth Educational Media Centre for Asia (CEMCA) was established by COL as a regional center to promote the meaningful, relevant and appropriate use of media and technology to serve the educational and training needs of the Commonwealth Member States of Asia.
Overview of the Position
The Senior Adviser: Open, Distance and e Learning conceptualises, manages and implements programme activities to support institutions to build capacities in open, distance and eLearning as well as provides skills training in online and face-to-face situations.
The Senior Adviser is an experienced professional with a demonstrated ability to respond to the needs of Member States within the context of developments in technology. S/he is expected to forge partnerships with organisations and institutions, provide advice to senior officials and act as an expert in open, distance and eLearning to advance CEMCA’s outcomes and impact. A thorough understanding of how to promote, develop and use Open Educational Resources (OER) is integral to the role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides expert-level guidance and direction to a diverse range of stakeholders on the design and implementation of models/systems and policies in support of learning for sustainable development.
- Conceputalises, implements and manages programme activities to build capacities in open, distance and eLearning for public institutions and skills training agencies. This involves formulating an annual action plan with achievable results, providing regular updates, and authorising expenditures within assigned budget levels.
- Develops and maintains a monitoring and evaluation framework for assigned activities, collects the necessary data and produces reports in accordance with COL’s Results Based Management (RBM) framework through detailed planning, effective resource allocation, risk management and monitoring and evaluation, including responsibility for meeting spending targets while achieving quality and value for money.
- Raises additional contributions in support of CEMCA’s work and manages the implementation strategy for project(s). This involves working as a team with partners and staff to ensure a coordinated approach.
- Achieves the outputs, outcomes and impacts as envisaged in CEMCA’s strategic plan which contribute to COL’s corporate plan.
- Builds, maintains and enhances relationships with stakeholders in the region, establishes the necessary contacts, networks and information systems to sustain regular and effective links, and contributes to raising the profile of CEMCA.
- Contributes to policy development, planning, management and evaluation of programme and administrative activity at CEMC.
- Prepares presentations, papers, and reports of international quality.
- Undertakes other work activities as may be assigned from time to time.
- Post graduate degree in Education, Educational Technology, International Development, or related discipline.
- Qualification which includes elements of open, distance and technology-mediated learning.
- Qualification related to development or exposure to management theories and practice.
- Ten years of relevant professional experience of working in open, distance, and e-learning. out of which five years should be at a senior level of designing and delivering online learning programs for diverse audiences which demonstrates strong knowledge of trends, ODL, technical expertise, including assessment of learning systems and outcomes.
- Relevant project management experience of the application of ICTs and linking education to sustainable development.
- Experience working in the Asia region.
- Innovation & Creativity: injects originality into daily work through research, personal knowledge, and networking relationships; thinks "outside the box"; brainstorms and encourages new ideas and solutions; takes appropriate risks.
- Prudence: sets an example by consistently modelling high standards of performance, honesty and integrity especially with appropriate use of funds; ability to mobilise, prepare and manage financial budgets in an effective, efficient and judicious manner to deliver ‘value for money’.
- Professional Judgment: possesses an in-depth understanding of the programme goals; is sought out by others for advice in an area of specialisation; has the expertise to be perceived as a thought leader and be a credible interlocutor in the field; ability to develop realistic, relevant and achievable plans including monitoring and evaluation strategies; demonstrates a "can-do" and positive approach.
- Networking: ability to develop and maintain a network of contacts in government agencies and institutions on issues related to education; exercises discretion and diplomacy while representing COL’s interests; capable of identifying and selecting quality partners, as well as to prepare, negotiate and manage agreements consistent with COL’s policies.
- Communication, Supervisory and Team Orientation Skills: communicates effectively in a variety of settings including to wider audiences; displays sensitivity to ethnic and gender issues in verbal and written communications; possesses the capacity and skills to manage human resources (staff, consultants, advisors, etc.); has the ability to lead teams as well as communicate and work with others, both within and outside COL/CEMCA, by promoting co-operation and collaboration to achieve collective outcomes; openly shares information, knowledge and expertise with the team and co-workers; appropriately gives and is open to feedback.
- Committed to gender equality: ensures that men/boys and women/girls receive targeted attention, where they are most marginalised; integrates gender considerations into programme planning, implementation, and gender disaggregated data is available as evidence.
- Commitment to the ideals of COL, notably to the role of education and learning as the key to sustainable development.
- Capacity to work in a multicultural office environment with a readiness to adapt to the work culture: collegiality, quality, time management, attention to detail and mutual respect.
- Interested applicants must apply online at the latest by March 05, 2023.
- While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, those who have not been contacted by March 31, 2023 should consider that there will be no follow-up to their application for the above position.